Books I Bought Then Forgot (to Read)

Hey, APCB readers!  It's been a minute since my last post.

Senior year has been absolutely crazy with all of my schoolwork, college apps, and other senior-specific activities, but crazy in a good way.  Out of my four years in high school, I think senior year is my favorite.  I feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do this year while making new friendships and strengthening old ones along the way.

With just about a month left to go, I hope I can finish off the year strong!

Source: Polly & Books

Unfortunately, the craziness of senior year hasn't allowed me to read as much as I wanted to and was able to in previous years.  Here's a list of five books that I bought a while ago with the pure intention of reading, but then, well, life got in the way, and these books are now burning holes through my bookshelf.



1. "Empire of Storms" by Sarah J. Maas

Ok, so to have this first book on the list is pretty bad, and I don't know how I've gone on for so long without reading it: the fifth book in Sarah J. Maas' hit Throne of Glass series.

I saw this book in my local Barnes & Noble just about a week or so after the book first came out.  As a fan of Maas' other works, I immediately purchased it.

I promise that I did begin reading the book, but not enough so that I reached a point where I was completely engrossed in the story and just had to finish the novel.

And that's the sad but true story of how I somehow still didn't read Sarah J. Maas' "Empire of Storms."




2. "Illuminae" by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

This next book is almost as bad to have on my list as "Empire of Storms": Kaufman and Kristoff's "Illuminae."

When this book came out about a year and a half ago, I only heard great and wonderful praise about it, so of course I had to get myself a copy.

But when I began reading "Illuminae," I just couldn't get myself into the story.

Although I loved the uniqueness of the book including its diagrams, transcripts, and more, the story itself was slow-moving and confusing.

I guess I just didn't have the patience to make it through the whole novel.



3. "A Darker Shade of Magic" by V.E. Schwab

I actually did read quite a bit of this book.  I'd say I read a little more than a half of the novel.

But honestly, truthfully, this story was so boring (to me, anyway).  I know many other readers and reviewers just loved this book, but unfortunately, I can't claim the same.

And I don't have anything else to say about this book besides that.










4. "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" by Stephen King

This book is rather different from my usual fare, as it's nonfiction and a memoir.

Some time ago, I felt inspired to read these memoir-type books on writing in order to improve my own craft.

I never got around to reading this book, but I still have the intention of reading it when time allows.










5. "An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green

In all honesty, I'm just not a John Green fan.  No matter how hard I try to like his writing, I can't and I don't.

I currently own three John Green books: "The Fault in Our Stars," "Paper Towns," and this one, "An Abundance of Katherines."  I've only managed to fully make it through "The Fault in Our Stars," but only by pretty much forcing myself to do so.

So, like I said, I'm not a fan of John Green's writing.  I attempted this book, and it wasn't my cup of tea, so I don't think I'll give it another go.








And that's my list of books I bought but never got around to reading/finishing.

Any strong opinions on the above mentioned?  Which book should I tackle first or try to read again?

Thanks so much for reading!

Julia's a dreamer. She often zones off periodically throughout the day thinking up plans for the future, pining over fictional characters, and concocting up possible plot lines for stories.

You can find Julia on her main blog, Peach Print, on Twitter @peachprint, on Instagram @yapeach, and of course, right here on the APCB blog.

6 comments:

  1. Your books are new to me but I did enjoy reading those mini updates on each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illuminae fell victim to my forgetfulness, too. I really need to get around to it because I think I'll really enjoy it. Books that are written in such a unique way always make for fun and interesting reads for me. I also have a copy of the second book which makes me feel even more guilty about not having read the first!

    It's also really interesting to hear your thoughts about A Darker Shade of Magic, because I don't think I've heard anything negative about it! It's been on my TBR since I first heard about it, but I'm wondering if I'll find it a bit dense and boring, too.

    Also, congrats senior year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you there on the John Green books, but I haven't even gone so far as to try ONE book. I'm not a big contemporary fan, and so far, I haven't read a single John Green synopsis that even remotely interests me. "On Writing" is on my wish list, but I haven't purchased it yet; I think I'm waiting to be in the "write" mood to read it, lol. "Illuminae", I'm right there with you. I purchased it right when it came out due to all the hype, but I still haven't read more than the first...chapter? I think I'm struggling with the format, too, even though that's one of the things most people like. I just wish it could've been written like a nice, normal book. Terrific post, btw, and I'm super jealous of your gorgeous book shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the first three and they were all amazing! :)

    Stacy Renee @ Lazy Day Literature

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also haven't been able to read Empire of Storms yet! I preordered it and I was so excited to read it because I love the series but when it came, I couldn't bring myself to read it because I would become invested all over again and have a huge book hangover until the next one came out. So it's still sitting on my shelves, waiting to be read. I'm really hoping I'll get up the courage this summer! I hope you have a lovely graduation, Julia :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own almost every Sarah J. Maas book and have only read ACOTR. I attempted to read Throne of Glass and couldn't get past the first chapter. I also own Victoria Schwab's books as well and have yet to read them. Although I did start Vicious and found it interesting, but haven't finished it. I loved Illunimae, but haven't attempted to buy or read Gemina, which I cringe over. I'm not sure I'd be interested in John Green's books though. Since they're almost all movies, I'll just pop in the DVD(with no shame whatsoever).

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)